Monrovia Investor Visa Lawyer

Reliable and Client-Oriented Advocacy for Immigrant Investors

If you are an international citizen interested in trade or investment in the United States, you will first need to obtain a special visa. Our firm handles a range of business-related visa matters, and we are specifically knowledgeable about E-1 and E-2 investor visas. We can help you determine your eligibility for the visa and guide you through the petitioning process so you can get started on your international investment as soon as possible.

Schedule an initial consultation with the Law Office of Sergio E. Fernandez online to learn more.

Eligibility for E-1 or E-2 Visas

The E visa category addresses visas for international traders and investors. Typically, E-1 visas are for traders who conduct substantial trade in goods, such as those related to services and technology, between the U.S. and their country of citizenship. E-2 visas are for those who are investing a substantial amount of money and are directing the operations of an enterprise they have invested in or are actively investing in.

To qualify for an E-1 visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • be a national of a country the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with;
  • carry on substantial trade (continuous flow of sizable international trade items involving numerous transactions over time); and
  • carry on principal trade between the U.S. and the treaty country which qualified you for E-1 classification.

To qualify for an E-2 visa, you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • be a national of a country the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with;
  • have invested, or are actively investing in, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the U.S.; and
  • be seeking to enter the U.S. solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise.

If you are an employee seeking E-1 or E-2 classification, you must be the same nationality as the main alien employee, who must have the nationality of the treaty country, and either be engaging in the duties of an executive or supervisory position or have special qualifications if employed in a lesser capacity.

The Filing Process

To file for your investor visa, you or your employer must complete Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) and pay the associated filing fees. You should gather all the required evidence and supporting documents to include in your application. 

After your Form I-129 is received, you should in turn receive a receipt notice confirming that your petition is being processed, any biometric service notices (if applicable), a notice to appear for an interview (if required for your situation), and a final notice of the decision. If your visa petition is approved, you can then apply for your E-1 or E-2 visa at a U.S. Embassy.

The visa petition and filing process can be confusing, especially when you are juggling so many other concerns as an investor. Our firm can answer any questions you have about E-1 or E-2 petitions and help you navigate the legal process. Let us take care of the legal side while you focus on your business and investments.

Contact the Law Office of Sergio E. Fernandez for an initial consultation to get started. Let an immigrant attorney help you bring your investment overseas.


  • “Professional and down to earth person” - Sergio Gutierrez
  • “Highly recommended!” - Arash Zolghadr
  • “Sergio helped us realize the American dream!” - Krishnan S.
  • “He was very professional and knowledgeable about the process” - Ryan Smith
  • “Thanks for your help Sergio!” - Gloria Lopez